About Wymondley Village

Images of Wymondley

Images of Wymondley

Images of Wymondley

Images of Wymondley

Images of Wymondley
Images of Wymondley

Images of Wymondley

Images of Wymondley

Images of Wymondley

Images of Wymondley
Wymondley Parish Council covers the villages of Great and little Wymondley and the hamlets of Redcoats green, Todds Green and Titmore Green.

The area is rich in history, particularly Great Wymondley. Shards of Roman pottery and a Roman cemetery reflect its proximity to a large Roman farm and villa in the valley to the east on the outskirts of Hitchin. Great Wymondley is set high on the hill and its Norman church stands next to the mound of a 'motte and bailey'. The adjacent green is the centre of the village with nearby, very attractive brick built 'Delamere House' standing on the site of an earlier house where it is rumoured that Cardinal Wolsey lived for a time. Across the road is a pretty row of thatched cottages named after several of Henry VII's wives.

Originally, there was a Manor House in Great Wymondley near the church and motte and bailey, but all traces of this have disappeared. The Lord of the Manor was held in 'Serjeantry' to the Crown and his duty was to present the first cup of wine at the Coronation feasts in Westminster hall. This tradition continued up to the coronation of George IV, after which, the banquet was discontinued. The duties of this manor and that of Little Wymondley merged over the years and remains of the latter still remain as Wymondley Bury.

The Great Wymondley village is a conservation area and unspoilt by development.

The village has a recreation ground with children's play area, the equipment having been recently replaced and renovated. The village also has a pub, the Green Man and a small village hall available for hire.

There is a 'minor' sunken road between the two Wymondley's which was probably laid out at the time of the Wymondley Enclosure Act of 1811. Beside this road are the remains of a priory after which the current property and farm are named. The priory followed the rule of St Augustine and was patronised by the lords of the manor. Founded in the early 1200's, there is a copy of a papal bull in the British Library from Pope Innocent III giving protection to the Hospital of Wymondley dated 1207. Following the dissolution, parts of the nave of the church appear to have been incorporated within the current dwelling house and the tithe barn has been restored and is used for private functions.

To the east of Great Wymondley, in the valley stands Little Wymondley which has benefited from a bypass rerouting the traffic flowing between the new town of Stevenage and the mediaeval market town, Hitchin. Whilst containing a number of older properties, it is now larger than Great Wymondley with several small developments over the years, some of which are owned by North Hertfordshire Homes Limited, previously being council properties owned by the District Council.

Little Wymondley boasts its own church, St Mary The Virgin, which has a clock on the tower presented by the villagers of Little Wymondley in commemoration of the coronation of King Edward VII in 1902. The original church on this site was dedicated to St Peter, built in the middle twelfth century and was linked to the Priory in the thirteenth century. After falling into disrepair, it was rebuilt in the elate fifteenth century and rededicated to St Mary.

To the south stands moated Wymondley Bury, parts of which date back to the 14th century. The Bury stands on a site that was probably fortified in the Saxon period.

On the west of the village stands Wymondley House, built by a rich and influential lawyer in the early 1700's. He enclosed eight acres of common land and ignored a court order to remove them, which was not enforced. So wealthy was he, that he paid window tax on twenty-five windows. This private residence became a Roman Catholic school for a few years after the Second World War, the chapel in grounds having been used as a schoolroom for London evacuees during the war, and then a commercial premises. It has reverted to residential units.

The village benefits from its own recreation ground with children's play area. The Wymondley Tennis Club operates from these grounds with two purpose built hard courts. The Parish Council has plans to build a new hard surface area here with a tennis practice wall and basketball nets.

Future plans include proposals to bring back regular football use of the recreation ground with rebuilding the pavilion or a multipurpose building to provide changing and social facilities.

The Parish Council has persuaded the County Council to grant two small areas 'Common Land' Rights and these will be administered by the Parish, averting their possible use as building land.

A village of this size deserves its two pubs, The Bucks Head and Plume of Feathers, facing each other across the High Street, also called Stevenage Road.

Todds Green is a cluster of houses separated from Stevenage by the A1M cutting and from the Wymondleys by the Wymondley bypass. Titmore Green is a farming community with a popular pub, the Hermit of Redcoats. 'Redcoats' itself was once another active farm but is now an upmarket restaurant - Redcoats Farmhouse Hotel, which hosts weddings and art exhibitions.

Just to the north, on the outskirts of little Wymondley is The Blakemore Hotel, a large hotel set in woodland, which is popular for conferences, parties and weddings.

The Wymondley Parish is set in a rolling landscape and is criss-crossed with footpaths, (some of Roman origin like Gypsy Lane) ideal for walking the dog or a leisurely stroll. These are maintained jointly with the Countryside management Team for your enjoyment. Please see our village plan for ideas when planning your route.